"I give you my arms. I give you my heart. Now create something beautiful."
– Said the agave to the mezcalero
The Lost Explorer Mezcal began as a curiosity of time and the earth. That curiosity has led us to create a small-batch mezcal as a toast to empowering sustainable Mexican enterprise, whilst also protecting the ancient artisanal craft, heritage and biodiversity of Mexico.
Celebrate the Earth
There is a secret language: the sun speaks to the earth, the wind speaks to the rain, the fire to the fibers of the piña. Our job is to listen to that conversation and nurture a home for its continued discourse.
The agave has made a noble sacrifice for The Lost Explorer Mezcal and we honor that with care for the earth in every step of our process.
production — in rhythm with
Each of us is born curious, but where does it go and what does it become? We believe in having more questions than answers, in constantly inhabiting the realm of the unknown, for that is where growth happens.
We embrace curiosity as a fundamental human sense, letting it guide us in our quest to more deeply understand mezcal, the earth and each other.
fundamental to humankind as a species
From the age-old techniques our craftspeople call upon to create The Lost Explorer Mezcal, to the land from where it’s born, we remain forever enamored by Oaxaca; its Nature, people, myths and mysteries, rituals, sunlight, food — it all comes together in this beautiful alchemy.
We raise a glass to all things Curiously Oaxaca and commit to always supporting and learning from this inspiring community.
history myths & mysteries curiously
The rich local fauna is the inspiration for our take on the Alebrijes, the traditional and whimsical craft of this magical place.
Ongoing Sustainability Initiatives
Honoring the sacred vow between humankind and the maguey, The Lost Explorer Mezcal is committed to the sustainable production of high-quality handcrafted mezcal in a manner that benefits the local mezcal-producing community in Oaxaca and protects the land’s biodiversity, with the long-term mission of becoming the most sustainable mezcal brand in the world.
In this journey, we will hold ourselves to the highest standards of globally recognized pillars of environmental excellence, while constantly striving to raise the bar for the industry.
- Solar panels installed in our agave fields at the distillery to create renewable energy
- Carbon footprint will be tracked from the very first batch in order to set our long-term emission reduction goals
- Bioclimate study carried out to inform our environmental improvement efforts and energy efficiency
- Ambitious biodiversity practice with at least three agave plants replenished for each one used
- Land purchased close to distillery to scale our replanting program
- Germinate seeds of genetically diverse agave on our distillery land and experimentation at The Lost Laboratory
- Agave waste is processed into fertilizer for our land
- Agave cooked according to artisanal methods and with local reclaimed wood only
- All production partners selected based on environmental ethos, quality and in support of Mexican enterprise
- New bottles designed and produced in Mexico from over 50% recycled crystal scraps
- Stoppers made from natural wood & cork and sealed with fully biodegradable beeswax
- Economic empowerment enabled within our mezcal-making community in San Pablo Huixtepec
- Long-term local contracts at fair price with our agave growers
- Creative partnerships with artisans located in the heart of Oaxaca
The Lost Laboratory
Beyond setting high standards for sustainability in our current production process, we are actively exploring ways to push industry standards. The Lost Laboratory is being built to do just this. While being respectful to the great depths of wisdom and tradition of the past, we are looking to the future and seeking ways to build further sustainability through constant experimentation.
As The Lost Laboratory and its curiosities develop, there will be questions, doubts, breakthroughs, failures and great (and great-tasting) successes. We look forward to sharing our journey with you. Follow along at @thelostexplorermezcal